On March 21, Tom, Leah and I were invited to Rendy and Jason's house (they have a son named Harper). Rendy invited the PEP moms (PEP is a mother's group), babies and husbands to her house to enjoy a beautiful Sunday afternoon, drinking delicious Sangria and eating Jason's awesome mahi mahi tacos.
We were done eating and drinking. The adults and babies were in a good mood.
We put all the babies on a big blanket and threw a bunch of toys down. They were free to roam... ok, most of them were stationary or rolled around, but a couple of babies were up and about on hands and knees.
Leah was having fun, rolling around, and chewing whtever toy was within her reach. She was minding her own business, when...
another baby, one of two that was crawling, came up behind Leah. She must have been jealous of Leah's beautiful hair because she grabbed a handful and YANKED. Leah, well, what do you think she did...she shrieked, rivers of tears streamed down here face... SHE WAS IN PAIN! Tom was standing nearby, taking pictures, and he quickly picked her up in his arms. I swooped in to comfort my daughter. I was upset but didn't show it. My focus was comforting Leah. She seemed inconsolable.
Luckily, Rendy and Jason have a dog. The day before, Leah saw a dog for the first time in her life and was fascinated by it. Billie is the second dog Leah has seen. It was a good distraction. She stopped crying and cracked a little smile.


She even forgot about the hair pulling incident. I, on the other hand, cried that night. As I held her while she drifted off to sleep, I realized that there are things I can't protect her from. But whenever Leah needs me, I will be there.
Yikes, it is a lesson for us mommies.
ReplyDelete