I love looking into Leah's beautiful brown eyes and seeing the spark of understanding as I talk to her. Today, when we were playing outside during Toddler Times, I was pushing Leah in a little, plastic car. She started grunting and pointing at something, and I told Leah, "I don't understand. Tell me what you want." She instantly made the sign for swing. I looked over at the direction she was pointing, and sure enough, there were swings on the play structure! I asked her if she wanted to go on the swing, and Leah made the sign for yes! Let me say, I was blown away. I wish I had had witnessess!
Leah and I were looking at her books tonight while waiting for Tom to come home from work. She heard the keys in the door, looked up and started to say "Ah-Ma". I told Leah it wasn't Ah-Ma. Then Leah said Dada, Dada. When Tom walked in, Leah made the happy sign. Wow!
Another sign Leah made tonight was wait. She signed for milk and while we were preparing it, Leah started getting upset because we weren't being quick enough. Tom made the sign for wait and Leah imitated the sign. I'm not sure if she fully understood the concept. She calmed down for a little bit but started to cry again. But at least she recognized that we were teaching her a new sign.
Leah:
I love our days together. It's been such a joy watching you learn and grow. You are changing so fast, becoming a wonderful, beautiful, young girl. You are smart... I don't know any other baby talking and signing as much as you. You are also generous. You love to share food and toys with your friends.
You have a calm, quiet personality. When you are in a new situation, you like to sit close to me and take in the whole scene before you venture out. You have a quiet confidence... you're not clingy, but you like to know I'm close. You love having people around. You love eating at the table surrounded by family and friends, or going on picnics in the park. The smile on your face is priceless... so big and cute, making your nose crinkle and exposing three little teeth. Your love, spirit, kindness, and understanding of things never cease to amaze us. We love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment