Thursday, September 23, 2010

14 Months Old

Leah:
You are 14 months old today! I can't believe how much you're growing and changing. And I really can't believe what you know and understand!

This is an example of how smart you are. This conversation happened one day after the Toddler Times class (an SBCC Adult Ed class where we sing and play with other toddlers).

Mommy: Did you have fun today?
Leah: signs the word play
Mommy: Yes! That's right! Playing with your friends!
Leah: signs the word friends
Mommy: Yes, you played with your friends today!

You can sign so much more. Other signs you've started doing are cat, banana, thank you, happy giraffe, elephant, shoe, socks, car, book and moon. I love seeing you sign thank you when you've been given your bottle or snacks. You will sign happy when we say "I'm happy". You also know how to sign hurt when you've hurt yourself or hear a baby cry.

We are teaching you wait, please, stop, angry, scare, hot and sleep.
Now that you are a toddler, I think it will help you to know how to express your emotions.

You're not really talking, but you're trying so hard! You like to repeat what we say, but you only say the first sound, so "ball" sounds like "bo". You really like to say the words bird, dog, duck, baby, apple, moon, up and ball. I do my best to understand what you're saying (so don't get frustrated), but it's hard because some of your words sound the same. These are the sounds you're trying to make "b", "m", "n", "d", "g" and "t".


You can follow directions and do what we ask you to do. Like if I ask you to give me your shoes, you will crawl to them and get them. For fun we will ask you to point to your belly button, nose, ears, mouth, and eyes. You know where they all are.


You understand so much! If I ask you if you want watermelon, you will shake your head no if you don't. Right now you're shaking your head no to a lot of things you're eating. I'm trying to teach you to sign the word yes (which is moving your fist up and down). You also understand brush your teeth, wash your hands, take your shirt off, change diaper, let's take a bath and so much more. You love the songs "If You're Happy and You Know It" and "The More We Get Together". When we say "clap your hands... stomp your feet... shout horray", you know how to do all three. You love reading Grandma and Me, I Love You Through and Through, Dear Zoo, My Big Animal Book, and Colors ABC Numbers.

You're easily upset when you don't get your milk fast enough or if we take away your binky (pacifier). That damn binky! You've become so attached to it, more so than before. We're trying to break your binky habit, but your mama and dada are not winning this fight.

Sometimes, you have very strong opinions about what shoes and hairclips you want to wear. You get pretty upset if I try to change it. When you want something (and it's usually our food, drink, pens, laptop... basically whatever we're using and you're not) and we don't give it to you, you get upset. We don't blame you because you are a very curious baby and you're trying to learn everything.

You are getting really good at puzzles. You have a shape sorter (with triangle, circle, pentagon and square shapes) and you can put them all in the correct places. You also have a few animal puzzles. You can't put them in the right places yet, but you can sign all the animals. You have a ring tower with varying ring sizes and you love playing with that. When you are really focused on getting a puzzle/ ring piece in place or stacking your cups/ blocks, and it doesn't work, you can get upset. You will scrunch up your face and kick your feet on the floor... like throwing a mini tantrum. I will then help you and you get over it quickly.

Sweet girl, you have a tendency to be a little OCD. You love to to take all the DVDs off the shelf and rearrange them. You also love taking your hair clips out of the baggy I have them in and put them back slowly. I'm not worried because I read somewhere that OCD behavior in babies is a sign of intelligence. You love playing with your dolls (baby Emma, baby Snow White, and baby Max). You like to give them their bottles and change their diaper. I think you made Dada change baby Emma's diaper 20 times one night.


You're still not walking. You have a very cautious personality. But you've been free standing, and just yesterday, you were walking along the kitchen wall. You have taken 3-4 steps towards Dada a few times this week.

When you've accomplished what you set out to do, like stand or finish a puzzle, your face lights up and your giddiness and happiness fill the room. You make sure everyone claps for you and we always do. Everyday with you is such a joy. I love talking to you, playing and snuggling together. I especially love the hugs and kisses you give. We love you so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment